
I got an add fuel warning in the prius on the way to work yesterday. It happens when there is 1 gallon remaining in the tank, which will usually get us 40-50 miles before needing a fill up.
On the way home, the only real accessible gas station was crowded and there was no way I was getting in anytime soon, so I decided to conduct an experiment.
When will I A) Run out of gas completely and B) When will the batteries give out?
So onto the freeway and away I go. Everything was just fine until the last hill before our town. On the way up the gas motor gave out, the check engine light came on and I slowed to 54 MPH. I was able to safely get over to the slow lane just before we crested the hill and came back down, so I was able to pick up speed. I got off at the first exit before noticing there is no gas station there. At the light at the bottom of the ramp I realized I could safely do 54 MPH to the next exit where I knew there was a gas station. Green light, I got back on.
As I exited at the next ramp, the battery indicator went from 3/4 charge to 1/4 charge and as I made the turn towards the Shell station I felt the electric motor not responding to my pushes on the gas.
I coasted into the parking area and awaited someone to move. Then got worried I would have to push my car into a gas station. How embarrassing in a hybrid no less. I turned the car off just as someone began to move. When I started the car, I was able to get it into drive just enough to pull me into the pumps, where I filled it up.
In total, in my 10.2 gallon tank, I did 511 miles with a car generated MPG of 44.6. Not sure which one is mis-calibrated, the gauge or the car. I guess it didn't worry about calculating mileage when the gas motor turned off.
But now I know if I run out of gas I can go 54 MPH.


No comments:
Post a Comment